Wednesday, December 24

"Back in the Saddle"- Tailoring my son's suit, a testimony.

I am excited to get back in the "saddle" with the suit for my son.  I know, it's been almost three months since I last worked on the jacket, or the pants for that matter.  "Man!, talk about procrastination!!".  This is why having someone help nudge you along is important.  Here's to having a fun, caring "online" sewing community.
  
These people are ones to keep me motivated and also, hold me accountable.  At first I thought it would be terrible to post an incomplete project with status updates.  "What happens if I don't finish it when I say?"  At first, I felt I would be stressed and have a lot of guilt or be crucified by the evil demons of the  "WorldWideWeb!"  Thanks to Faye's progress updates on her coat, The Mahogany Stylist's encouragement, and Andrea of Knit-Knac I am back at it now.  And guess what, I don't feel bad.  With the gentle nudging of a few, I actually feel inspired to keep plugging along.
He was so tired when we did his fitting.  
EXCUSES, EXCUSES, EXCUSES!!!  Yes, there was a good reason I didn't have it finished by now.  Here are just a few of the hurdles I have been faced with along the way:
  1. I ran out of fabric for the pants waistband...sooooooo, I had to create a new design detail.  You will never know where, and I will never show you a picture.  (It took me a while to recover and trouble shoot that hangup.
  2. When I completed the front lapel facing, I forgot to make a waist seam to match the front for the seamed buttonhole which sits at the waist.  Soooooo....I will be creating a bound-type buttonhole backing for this area.
  3. The lining was to be a rayon bemberg, but it was just to lightweight, so I had to order the proper "mens" suit lining from B.Black and Sons.  Now, it is so much better, and weightier, much more suitable for a mens suit.  The red is piping.
    Piping is complete for the lining and back facing.
  4. The big one::: I am working on "THE WEDDING DRESS" for my son's finance.  The wedding is in June 2015.   (This isn't the wedding dress.  This is one I made back in 1986. I just thought you would see the importance.)
    My sisters Prom dress in 1986.
  5. And, I do sew for others, and because of that, it really is hard to focus the kind of attention to tailoring menswear, when your brain is being pulled from one project to another in short order.  I just don't know how "short order" cooks do it.
  6. Of course I had to take interim breaks from the "work" sewing along the way and make a few quick things for myself.  This Watson Bra set (not blogged yet)...,
    A cardigan (which I hate), some StyleArc Cassie pants, and of course I had to finish my StyleArc Amber top for a party.  Oh, yeah my shrug tutorial.  I did a whole lot of other stuff, but you don't want to read about all of it, do you?
  7. These StyleArc pants are a blog post all to themselves!!!  They wore me completely out!!! I hate bengaline fabric y'all!!!
He really is happy in this picture.  He tries not to smile whenever I come around with my camera.
Moving forward, these are the things still remaining before I can get this fine wearable to my baby boy.

To Do List:

  • Shaping and pad stitching of the lapel, roll line and front, (est. 3-4 hours if I'm lucky)
  • install inside breast pocket (est. 1-2hours, if I'm not distracted.)
  • Collars and buttonholes (est time:  "I DON'T KNOW!")
  • Set-in sleeves of body and lining (est. 1-2 hours)
  • Shoulder pads (1 hour maybe)
  • Sew in the lining and hem- by hand!  (est. time: 1-2 hours because my hand hurts when I do hand stitching, so I have to take lots of breaks.)
  • I guess he will get the pants in January, or in time for Easter.  LOL.
Did I say this young man is really patient with me!!  I LOVE this BOY of mine.  

BLOG DESIGN BY BELLA LULU INK