Easy to Fit Mock Wrap Dress: NewLook 6301
This dress sewed up so quick and easy that I feel bad I didn't cut and make two while I was at it...! I was in need of a really simple make that would give me a cute silhouette, and be easy to fit. Fitting is a big deal for me. Not on an OCD level, but one that requires me to always, and I mean always, make certain adjustments no matter how simple the pattern.
This pattern was just what I needed and didn't fail. No muslin, just flat pattern measurements, and knowing what stretch factor I was dealing with helped me to get this one just right the first time. Woo!! Woo!!! (Forgive the weird pics...it was storming outside, and I just had to get these photos done because I couldn't wait to share with y'all.)
Ah man!! I really like the hem on this dress. The a-line shape of the skirt makes it really comfortable and hangs really nicely from the derrière so gracefully. The bodice is comfortable because I used a mid-weight single knit (ITY) that is not overly thin, which means I didn't need to line it or worry about too much stretching on the neck band...a detail I really love.
- Pattern- NewLook 6301 (Mock wrap) Feels more like a t-shirt
- The pattern pieces went together fairly simple. However, I did change the order of construction so that all the back and front was finished together before closing the side seams. This made the construction take less than an hour. I did use a serger, but only as finishing.
- sewed the shoulder seams
- check the fit of the bodice and make adjustments
- install the neck binding
- hem the sleeves
- sew the sleeves on the flat, instead of as a set-in
- attach the skirt front to the bodice front, and separately the back as well.
- sew on the tie ends to the back at the waist just above the seam
- sew up the side seams and hem the skirt..... done!!
- Cut Size 12 & 14
- Alterations- The pattern has two front pieces, a left and a right.... I used Front piece #1 for both left and right sides
- 3/4" Pivot & Slide FBA
- lengthen bodice 1"
- 3/4" Pivot & Slide Bicep
- 3/8" Neckline Wedge to help the dress hug the decollate
- NOTE--- there is a real tendency for this pattern to be baggy under the arms if you try and use the finished size for your bust. Stick to the pattern size as related to your upper bust and add the full bust adjustment. Remember to make your adjustment where it is needed, not just depend on the "finished" measurements. That is an "all around" measurement.